|Do not continue until you
have completed this page
“I’ve come because I’ve had bad flu for several days”
According to the medical records, Mark has always been fit. He looks well, and apart from some excess mucus in his pharynx there is no clinical abnormality.
- Why has Mark come to see you?
- With the story and findings, what could be your attitude to this patient?
Areas for discussion
- Is Mark genuinely concerned about an infection?
- Could he be concerned about some other physical problem?
- Could he be concerned about some emotional problem?
- Do you find yourself being angry or judgemental if:
- Does the patient think he has a physical problem but hasn’t?
- A fit young man comes with a story you can’t substantiate?
- Consulting with young men: why are they difficult?