- Help to prevent isolation in general practitioners.
- Help to reassure GPs that they are doing a worthwhile job.
- Help to support GPs. particularly in the present climate of change. and suggest change coping strategies.
- Help to reach GPs in a non-threatening. non-judgmental way.
- Help GPs to discover their learning needs.
- Help GPs with their personal and professional development.
- Provide some factual information especially on educational matters.
- Encourage reflection and look at problem solving
- Help to reinforce the need for protected reflection and education time on mentee’s agenda.
The level to which mentoring can perform these functions depends on multiple factors including the knowledge and skill of the mentor, the willingness of the mentee to make best use of the process and the extent of any problems encountered.