|Home > Management|
|Patient sees nurse for smear.||Enter or select current problem Cervical neoplasia screening.
Answer any previous Cervical smear due reminder.
|If this current problem is not present it should be added.|
|Take smear. Enter read code .6859 Ca Cervix screen done||Smear exemptions:
|Results back.||Smear result added using the appropriate results code.
||Use only these codes for results:
If an infection (eg thrush) is detected, this should be added as an additional code.
All patients are informed of their smear result by letter.
|Results to practice nurse.||Nurse checks report against attached letter, and signs smear letters. Normal results then go to reception for filing and letter posted.||Send appropriate cervical smear advice leaflet if smear abnormal.|
|Abnormal results||Referral made|
|Filing||Results filed electronically|
- All smear results are entered by Anne on receipt of records.
- Regional centre is notified of all results if the patient has moved from another region.
The practice has a policy of not excluding any eligible women from asmear except under very exceptional circumstances, so the practice has no”smear refusal” form. This is to ensure that patients are given theopportunity to formally change their mind about having a smear at least every 3years if they have previously declined a smear and are never removed permanentlyfrom the smear system. Computer reminders prompt doctors and nurses to discusscervical smears opportunistically with patients who default appointments.
Patients who do not attend or persistently cancel smear appointments:
- 1st DNA: recall in 3 months with letter and smear advice leaflet.
- 2nd DNA: recall in 3 months with letter and smear advice leaflet.
- 3rd DNA: recall in 3 years with final letter and smear advice leaflet.
- All patients who have had abnormal smears are also separately logged in the abnormal smear diary.
- Patients’ individual smear requirements are matched against lists from the regional database monthly to ensure practice and region database accuracy.
- Auditing of smear uptake via the report schedule.
- Auditing of abnormal smears regularly performed.