Aim: To determine what influences and decisions precede the consultation.
Using the illness behaviour questionnaire, the doctor should ask each patient:
- What made them consult with their problem at this particular time
- How they coped with the problem until they came to see you
- To determine what influences and decisions precede the consultation:
- What makes people consult the doctor
- The effect of life events on illness
- To underline the need for exploration of health beliefs
- Stigma, labelling and blaming
- Will Pickles’ attitude – “These are good people”
- The meanings of labels for people
- The effects of being given labels
Questions to explore
- Do doctors provide a socially useful service in keeping patients at work?
- Is medicine an efficient closed shop that has, therefore, an unassailable position of power?
- What is the theology behind your unique professional care?