For assessment of
- Refer: most will be cardioverted
- Start Aspirin 300mg/day
- Check echo report re LV impairment or L atrial enlargement
- Refer for cardioversion if less than1yr duration
- warfarinise always
- Not usually cardioverted
- Murmur virtually never important.
- Refer with copy of echo report and ECG. If mild, OPD visit may not be neccessary. Severe AS/AR with impaired LV requires urgent appt.
- Refer all with echo report
- ACEI can usually be started out of hospital.
- Consider referral if:
- Patient also has angina
- Inadequate symptom control
- Significant associated lesions on echo
- Diuretics and nitrates
- ACEI should be started in hospital
Normal left ventricular functionGood news! Reassess symptoms and diagnosis. If breathless, may be exertional ischaemia so consider coronary disease. Refer if obscure.
|LVES||2.5-4.1cm||Systolic LV dimension at LV base|
|LVED||3.5-5.6cm||Diastolic LV dimenstion at LV base|
|IVS||0.7-1.2cm||Thickness of septum in diastole|
|PW||0.7-1.2cm||Thickness of posterior wall in diastole|
|LA||1.5-4.0cm||Dimension of left atrium|
|Aortic root||2.0-3.7cm||Dimension of aortic root at aortic valve|